Monday, December 10, 2012

Layers of the Atmosphere Activity

Any textbook in your classroom should give most of the information for the activity. If there is a fact or two missing, you could supply a short supplementary text or the fact to the students.

What surprised me the most when I did this activity was the high test scores. I did not lecture, give notes, go over review questions. The activity was it.

I grouped students in groups of three and four. I selected groups. I deliberately mixed high ability, low ability and average in every group.

Each group was given an approximately 3 ft by 3 ft piece of butcher paper  (The white paper use to cover bulletin boards). Any poster sized paper would do. In a pinch 11 X 17 copy paper can be used. I would just expect students to work in groups and make an individual drawing.

The activity was done with a sixth grade classroom. I gave students the instructions and rubric being used to grade them.

For this rubric, emphasizing that each component was completed was important versus quality of drawing issues. I would voluntarily start grading the project when asked and put a big X where the information was missing then sum the grade. Even though the project was attractive, children were surprised they had a 60 because they had not listed all the facts. This helped guide them to get all the necessary facts on their diagrams for the real grade.

I did separate the A's from the B projects by presentation. I also did not give students another sheet of paper to start over. We all work on a deadline. Letting them start over and over will cause some students to take extraordinary extra time or never complete the project. It also helps teach students to think ahead. Since you grade on whether a fact is listed, an incomplete project can be graded.

I also allowed students to borrow large circles found around the room to draw their atmospheric layers. I did not encourage this in that I would tell students that the layers blend together and do not have neat divisions between them.

I never marked students down for poor art skills. There is a difference between rushed, sloppy work and poor motor skills.  I never had a child challenge me with my grades in comparing their work with another.

Instructions:

You will need to make a diagram on this poster to demonstrate the information assessed in the following rubric. Use your textbook or the text supplied to find this information. I suggest you find the information and plan before you begin to draw. You will not be supplied another piece of paper.


Atmospheric layers Rubric                  

Group members ______________ ______________ ______________


Quality
possible points
self
assessment
earned points
1.  Label Earth
5


2.  Five layers labeled
5


3.  Distance from Earth of each layer
5


4. Temperature range of each layer
5


5.  Facts placed in appropriate layer



- layer in which we live
5


- layer in which all weather occurs
5


- ozone layer is found here
5


- coldest layer
5


- hottest layer
5


- ionosphere is found here
5


- meteors occur here
5


- blends in with outer space
5


-space shuttle and satellites found here
5


6.  Illustrations



- Earth
5


- Weather
5


- show ozone layer blocking ultraviolet light
5


- hottest layer
5


- space shuttles and satellites
5


7.  Effort
5


8.   Neatness
5


9.   Total points
100


          







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Comments with links will not be published.