Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Watersheds

A watershed is the area of land in which rainfall eventually flows into a river. The Flint river starts as a ditch running through Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport. The Ocmulgee river starts as a ditch in central Atlanta. All rivers start quite humbly. Then other rivulets of water join and a creek forms. Creeks flow into rivers.

What we as citizens need to be aware of is not to contribute to water pollution. I live in the country and I pick up my dog's poo. I live within half of a mile of the Flint river. A culvert runs under the road in front of my property to carry rainwater into the river and I do my part. Dog poo as well as excessive pesticide and fertilizer use contaminates the river.

I also do not mow where the culvert is. I allow the grass, etc to filter out problem items. After heavy rains, I pick up trash that people have tossed from cars. It is surprising how much gets hidden in the brush and is carried by water.

There are two sorts of water pollution, point and non-point.

Point pollution is where a large amount of pollution from a single source moves into a river ecosystem. Since there is usually a place this can be traced, it is easier to stop the culprit.

Roads deliver a great deal of thermal pollution. On very hot days, the pavement absorbs heat. When it rains, the water absorbs the heat and flows into the river. Thus a spike in temperature of the river occurs that can kill organisms. Hence, another reason to leave a grassy area. The water is slowed and can cool before it enters the river.

Non-pollution is much trickier. This is the cumulative problem of small pollutants from various sources. A car leaks oil or transmission fluid. This is carried to the river. This form of water pollution is harder to deal with.

In cities, storm drains can become clogged with leafs, grass clippings swept into storm drains instead of being bagged for removal.

http://www.atlantawatershed.org/

http://water.usgs.gov/edu/watershed.html


I found this diagram on a great blog with a lot of good information. The blog is

http://www.wateryfoundation.com/

This link will bring you to a great watershed map of Georgia and Alabama. I will post it later on my blog if the gentleman gives me permission.

http://www.wateryfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Alabama-Georgia-Watersheds3.jpg




Flint River Watershed of Georgia courtesy of wikimedia commons.


FlintRiver watershed

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Wonderful blog! I'm going to share your blog address with my daughter, so she can share it with her children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great information! I had no idea about the thermal pollution created by pavement.
    Stopping by from A-Z!
    Brandy from Be Kind 366

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Comments with links will not be published.